I have been shooting IDPA for nearly a decade now. I have to admit—before I started, I was a little scared! I had shot competitively in Cowboy Action Shooting and I wasn’t sure if shooting a different kind of sport would be as much fun. Eight short years later, I have to say I love it as much as any other sport I shoot, and I think you will, too.
2. It Makes Me Think. When I received my concealed carry permit years ago, I took my class, stuck my gun in my purse and didn’t really think much past that. And while IDPA is a sport, it does give me an opportunity to think about things. For instance, if I’m carrying in my purse, where does my purse end up when I get into the car? After shooting a few stages in cars I now have a strict rule that my purse goes on the passenger seat; this way I can actually reach it. It doesn’t go on the backseat or in the foot well, because then I won’t be able to access my firearm.
3. Sunshine, Fresh Air and Exercise. Ladies and gentlemen, I know that most of us struggle with making time for ourselves. Doctors recommend getting exposure to the sun, fresh air and some exercise. These things will help us be happier and live longer. Why not combine your exercise with a little fun along the way? While shooting my last match, my step count was over 8 miles! Exercising while shooting is way more fun than being on the treadmill.
4. The Price Tag. We all know that making ends meet is not as easy as it used to be. If you want to get into competitive shooting, IDPA is a fairly inexpensive sport to start with. A stock gun, three magazines, a holster, magazine pouch, belt, eye protection, ear protection and jacket or vest are all you really need. Plus, most club matches are approximately 100 rounds. A couple boxes of ammo a month will get you through without breaking the bank.
5. The People. I think this is my favorite thing about all shooting sports. In the last few years there has been huge growth in the number of ladies at IDPA matches. I have met all kinds of amazing women, and they are so friendly! At the last match I went to, I ended up trading recipes with a lady I met years ago. Shooting is a great way to meet new people and make new friends.
6. The Vest. I am not much of a clothes person. If I could wear blue jeans and a T-shirt to every place I ever went, I would be oh-so-happy. However, my IDPA vest is one piece of clothing I do think is fun. It was custom made for me by Armadillo Concealment, which means that it actually fits! I’d never had a piece of clothing made for me before, and it’s amazing. Besides the fit, I was also allowed to choose the color. No basic black for me—instead it is kelly green! People tease me about my “Girl Scout cookie vest,” but I love the green color! You can personalize your gear and have a little fun at the same time.
Competitive shooting sports are so much more than just the shooting. Yes, we love the shooting, but they’re also a great way to make new friends, have new experiences and get a little more fun out of life. If you have been thinking about starting, don’t wait. Get out to the range!