Lisa Bedford: The Survival Mom’s Tutorial on Using Dried Eggs
I’ve used dehydrated fruits and vegetables, but never thought of eggs. Lisa Bedford explains how in her blog, “The Survival Mom.”
Dehydrated and freeze-dried foods are among the easiest foods around for both everyday cooking and long-term food storage. One handy item in that category is dried eggs and knowing how to use them is important.
At first glance, a pouch or can of this powdery substance may not be very appealing, but I can recommend it for so many different reasons.
A few ways to use dried eggs.
- With dried eggs on hand, you won’t ever have to worry about running out of fresh eggs at a critical juncture, whether baking a cake or serving scrambled eggs for breakfast.
- In a disaster or other worst case scenario, fresh eggs may be hard to come by. With dried eggs, you’ll always have this staple on hand.
- Dried eggs do not need to be refrigerated.
- Dried whole eggs are a God send for those on low carb diets, and dried egg whites are perfect for making low fat recipes.
- A #10 can of dried whole eggs contains around 70 eggs. Try storing 70 fresh eggs in the same amount of space!
Chances are, you’ve already eaten dried eggs and didn’t even realize it. Many restaurants, school cafeterias, and the military use dried eggs because of their versatility, ease of storage, and convenience. (Restaurants also often use liquid eggs in a carton, and those will probably contain additives. Plain, dried eggs do not.)
For the purists among us, the only thing you’ll find in most containers of dried eggs are…eggs. Some companies may add a small amount of an anti-caking ingredient, but other than that, what you see is what you get.
Continue reading Lisa Bedford’s, “Using Dried Eggs: A Tutorial” here, and visit her blog, “The Survival Mom.”
About The WON
The Women's Outdoor News, aka The WON, features news, reviews and stories about women who are shooting, hunting, fishing and actively engaging in outdoor adventure. This publication is for women, by women.
View all posts by The WON