As a hunting family we like to process all of our own meat and make our own summer sausage, brats and jerky! Not only do we want to know that our meat was taken care of, but we also want to know what was added to it to make summer sausage, brats and jerky. Lots of meat processing centers add sodium nitrate and MSG as preservatives and binding agents to your sausages and brats. As a health conscious family we choose not to have those ingredients added to our meat and instead use all natural alternatives that I will share with you in our DIY Wild Game Summer Sausage recipe below.
-Wild Game Meat 42 Ibs.
-Bacon 8 Ibs (Nitrate free bacon like Hormel’s)
-All Natural Summer Sausage Seasoning (34 ounces, premade for 50 Lbs)
-Mahogany Fibrous Casings 2-3/8” X 24” (Qty: 14)
-Celery Juice Powder (3.25 ounces)
-C-bind (Carrot Fiber Binder) (3 ounces)
1.Grind – Grind all meat and fat. I grind it twice through the meat grinder for a better consistency.
2. Mix – Mix all meat, fat and ingredients. I typically split them into 25 pound batches so mixing them makes it a lot simpler.
3. Let set – It’s better to let your summer sausage set for at least 24-48 hours before smoking.
4. Stuff – Stuff sausage casings using a sausage stuffer.
5. Smoke – Smoke on 250 degrees Fahrenheit until internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Ice Bath – After pulling the summer sausage off smoker take directly to a cooler full of ice to stop the cooking process and to allow the summer sausage to not over cook.
With a love for living this lifestyle and sharing her passion for hunting, conservation and defending our 2nd amendment rights, Sereena is honored to be a part of many top outdoor companies and organizations. Including being the Co-founder of Nature’s Paint, an easy on, easy off, all natural camo face paint and team member for Girls With Guns Clothing. Sereena currently resides in Central Oregon with her husband and their two kids. She prides herself in teaching their 4-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son the hunting and outdoor lifestyle.
“Hunting isn’t just a way of life for me, it’s a big part of who I am and what I was born to do!”
The Women's Outdoor News, aka The WON, features news, reviews and stories about women who are shooting, hunting, fishing and actively engaging in outdoor adventure. This publication is for women, by women. View all posts by The WON