Julie G: Flying with firearms, Part II – going abroad

At least every couple of years I head overseas to take part in an international shooting competition. If you think that flying with firearms within the United States is nerve-racking, the thought of going abroad might be downright terrifying. In all honesty (knock on wood) I have never had an issue with traveling with my guns to other countries. Each time I have been well prepared with copies of necessary paperwork and a traveler’s dictionary in my back pocket, just in case.

First things first. Make sure your passport is up to date and will not expire while you are traveling. If a visa is required for the country you are visiting, make sure you complete all necessary paperwork to obtain one in time. Check out the customs website for your destination, and complete all forms needed to enter the country with a firearm. Each country is different, but many post these forms online. Keep in mind that sometimes this paperwork has a lengthy processing time, so plan accordingly.

One other piece of paperwork you will need is a U.S. Customs form 4457. Called a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad, this is a generic form for any item of value you are taking with you and bringing back in. This form is often used for expensive electronics or other high-dollar, serial-numbered items. It’s also proof that you left the U.S. with firearms and will help you reenter the country with them.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol has this form right on their website, and you can even type in your information and then hit print. In the Description of Articles section, be sure to include the make, model, caliber and serial number of your firearm. It’s best to fill out a single form for each firearm so that if you travel again, you need only carry the forms for the firearms that you are bringing.

Once you have typed or written in all the info, print but do not sign the form. You’ll want to leave this blank and sign in person in front the government agent. Next stop is finding a customs office. Visit CBP.gov for a list of field offices to find the one closest to you.

My nearest office happens to be on the Canadian border, and I recently took a trip to the U.S. border station in Opheim, MT, to complete my paperwork for the upcoming IPSC World Shoot in Rhodes, Greece, this October.

Important: Do not bring your firearms inside the customs office with you! When you arrive, show your 4457 forms, passport and event documentation to the agent. Tell them you need to register firearms and that they are secured in your vehicle. They will tell you how to proceed and where to go to verify the serial numbers. Once these are verified, you’ll sign your forms, and they will receive an official seal. On return from your overseas travel, declare your firearms and have your 4457(s) ready when you reach U.S. Customs.

When it’s time to make your travel arrangements, know that layovers in some countries can cause you trouble. Some nations require paperwork and even a permit for just a layover, even when you have no access to your firearms. There are a few airports that are notorious for confiscating firearms and ammunition, including London and Paris. Some types of ammunition may be illegal in nations you are traveling through. When planning your trip, don’t just think about your final destination, but all the stops in between. Plan plenty of time for dealing with customs, as it’s highly likely that you will be pulled aside for verification and additional questioning.

Chances are, whether it’s a hunt or a competition, your event organizers will have helped you with all your required paperwork. It’s a good idea to make several copies of this paperwork (I usually bring at least three) in the event you need to leave a set with government authorities. Bring point-of-contact information for your event location and administrators, as well as an invitation to the event if you are traveling for a competition. Keep phone numbers for the nearest U.S. Embassy handy as well.


  • About Julie Golob

    Julie Golob is one of the most accomplished professional shooters in the world and captain of Team Smith & Wesson. She has won more than 120 championship titles in international, national and regional marksmanship competitions in seven different shooting disciplines. Learn more about the champion, author, veteran, hunter and outdoor television personality at JulieGolob.com.


The Conversation

  • Bryan says: August 22, 2014 at 10:29 am

    Taking firearms abroad can be a nightmare for those who dislike red tape. With regular changes to the rules there also seems a fair amount of misinformation about concerning the legal and safe transportation of fire arms so it’s nice to see some factually accurate advice from a pro!

  • JulieG says: July 6, 2011 at 9:09 pm

    Thanks for all the kind words! 🙂

  • Barbara Baird says: July 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm

    We are delighted to have Julie G. here with her experience and world knowledge combined with warm personality … walking us through the process of flying with guns — anywhere! And, we look forward to seeing her soon-to-be-published book, which will no doubt emulate Julie’s methods of breaking down what might appear to be a complicated task, into doable segments. Thanks, Julie.

  • Tammy says: July 1, 2011 at 11:29 am


    Very informative as was previous article, Traveling With Firearms. Thanks for mentioning packing firearm in a Hard Case……I know you can not always mention names but it lets folks know that firearms have to be in a hard case.

    PS Love the photo of you and little one riding out storm in bathtub. You look so calm for the little one. You are a good mom.


  • Bill Bowers says: June 30, 2011 at 11:02 am

    Brava! Thanks to Julie Golob for another informative, well-written article on traveling with firearms. This is bound to be of great help to anyone who travels with firearms outside the U.S., whether for an international shooting match or for an overseas hunting trip.